Sunday, August 1, 2010

Florida

We were fortunate enough to have a brief family vacation to Orlando, Florida, in early July this summer. A good friend of Joe's was getting married in Winter Park, Florida, just on the outskirts of Orlando and Joe was a groomsman so we decided to make a family trip out of it. Ironically, Disney World was celebrating I believe their 75th anniversary and was offering free tickets through a program called "Give a Day, Get a Disney Day". Basically you go to their website and punch in your zip code to see the hundreds of places you could volunteer at whether for a day such as helping with certain walks/runs, volunteering for 6 months at the Dumb Friends League, etc. and upon completion of your service, each individual would be granted a one day free ticket to any of the Disney World Parks. Of course knowing we were going there for a wedding, I jumped on the idea. I volunteered us for Project Linus which is an organization that takes donated blankets and gives them to kids that have had something tramatic happen to them in their life. Joe and I each had to make 2 blankets to receive our free tickets while also helping a great cause. Surprise surprise that it actually ended up being my bestie Michelle and I making the 4 blankets one weekend she was here so technically Michelle deserved "Joe's" free ticket. :) At any rate, Joe and I used our free tickets and because Emme is not yet 2, we were all able to have a free day at Disney World on July 8th. Joe and Emme had never been there so I was sooooo excited to show them the happiest and cleanest place on earth! Emme became a quick lifelong fan of Minnie Mouse and cannot get enough of her since we've been back. We had a blast despite the 90+ degree weather with humidity. Needless to say we didn't stay all day due to the extreme heat and massive sweating amongst all of us, but we enjoyed it long enough to get the feel of Disney.

On July 9th, we took Emme to Cocoa Beach and the Atlantic Ocean, about an hour drive from Orlando. Despite her frequent travelling, she had never been to a coast yet seen the ocean and since we were so close, we wanted to jump on the opportunity. I think this was Joe's favorite part of the trip as his grandparents and other relatives live(d) in Jersey and Joe spent some time on the beaches there and the Atlantic Ocean as well. Emme was hesitant at first of walking into the ocean but it didn't take long for her to become a beach and ocean lover. From experiencing the warm water and waves, to walking along the sand, to picking seashells, we all had a great day that I will never forget. I especially enjoyed seeing A1A (BEACHFRONT) Avenue!!! :)

Later that evening and all of July 10th were spent with the about-to-be-married couple at their rehearsal dinner and wedding. It was a beautiful day and we felt privelaged to witness such a beautiful couple say their vows to each other. We had a blast at the extremely nice and beautiful reception. Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Drew Bogan! Emme was a dancing queen and was clearly a Slusarski on the dance floor!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive