Monday, June 15, 2009

Viva Las Vegas

I absolutely LOVE surprises! Wait, let me clarify...I absolutely LOVE surprising other people but am not a fan of others surprising me. Late December 2008 I came up with idea of surprising Joe, Drew, and my best friend Michelle for their summer 2009 birthdays. Joe turned 30 on June 4th, Drew turned 29 on June 12th, and Michelle turns 30 on July 18th. Michelle, being the nosy detective she is, found out we were going months ago whereas Joe and Drew had no clue until a couple hours before our flight. From organizing and booking the trip, paying for the trip without Joe noticing (we have a joined checking and savings account), getting their bosses to help, packing for all of us (including Emerson who stayed with Aunt Alicia and Uncle Greg and Wiley and Major staying with friends), to pulling it all off flawlessly, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it all turned out.

I had scheduled a pedicure for myself the evening before near Joe's job so it was convenient for me to drop off Emme towards the end of his workday while I went for my pedicure. This worked perfectly for I also was able to give his administrative assistant, Shannon, his printed ticket with a bow on it for her to give to him the following day. Weeks prior I had asked Alicia to pretend she was going to be in downtown Denver for work on June 11th and ask Joe if he wanted to meet for lunch around 11:30. Of course food was involved so Joe promptly agreed. A few days prior to the scheduled lunch, I told Joe that Alicia had mentioned they were going to lunch that day and since I did not have to work, I would be joining them as well. Drew had requested June 11th through the 14th off for his birthday so he was going to join us too. I had told both Drew and Joe earlier in the week that my mom was coming in town for Drew's birthday and that after lunch Drew and I were going to pick her up at the airport.

Thursday morning I had Drew drop the dogs off with a friend of mine because all of us were "going to head up to the mountains for a night while mom was here". While he did that, I frantically packed his bag and hid his printed ticket with a bow underneath the driver's seat in my car. When he came back home, we immediately left to go meet Joe and Alicia for "lunch". However, on the way out the door to "lunch", Shannon handed Joe the ticket and said, "Hey Joe, a client just dropped this off for you." Curious, he opened it up while holding Emme. Then...silence. Then more silence until Alicia finally said, "It looks like you have the best wife ever!" Joe replied, "I don't know what this is but all I see is my name and Vegas." Then I told him to look at the date and told him we needed to leave within the next 30 minutes for the airport. Here is a picture of us moments after Joe found out about Vegas in his office.


Drew appeared just as shocked as Joe only immediately sad and disappointed when I told him that he would actually be dropping Joe and I off at the airport while he picked up mom to spend the weekend with him for his birthday. When I say sad and disappointed, I REALLY REALLY REALLY mean he was extremely sad, disappointed, and even mopey over the fact that we were leaving to go to Vegas over his birthday weekend! It was so unbelievably hard to keep a straight face to him for the next hour! Joe did a few last minute things at work while the rest of us indeed grabbed a quick lunch, transferred Emme and her belongings to Alicia (I had dropped the majority of her stuff off 2 days prior while I told Drew and Joe I was at work late), and jumped in my car to head to the airport. I was driving while Drew was in the passenger seat and Joe was in back changing into the casual outfit I had brought for him. On the way to the airport I kept apologizing to Drew for how sorry I was he could not go but that we would go for his 30th birthday the following year. However, when we exited on Pena Boulevard (the exit to the airport) I had another surprise...only this one was for Drew. Watch the attached video to see it go down (and beware of Joe's curse word!)...




Now with both of them surprised, confused, shocked, grinning from ear to ear, and pretty much speechless, we parked the car and took the shuttle to the airport. Waiting at our gate ready to surprise them again were Nick and Amy who are friends of ours. That is when I also told them that Scott and Michelle (my best friend) were meeting us there as well as Josh and Jordan (friend/old roomate of Michelle and I) but that Michelle did not know Jordan would be there. Being there for that surprise was priceless! Unfortunately that video cannot be posted due to the choice of words by Michelle when Jordan surprised her! ;)

While on the plane I gave Drew the digital camera my parents had bought him for his birthday. At that point he did not know what else to expect for he was so overwhelmed. I also informed them that Drew and I would be attending the Cirque du Soleil show "O" at the Bellagio that evening (Joe and I have seen it on a previous trip) and that we would all be going to watch a hypnotist Saturday night.




We had a FANTASTIC time hanging out with each other and our friends, laying by the pool, going to shows, gambling, shopping, checking out the incredible hotels, riding the crazy rides at the top of the Stratosphere, and a few other things I cannot talk about because what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive